The Haleppa Treaty
Signed in October 1878 and ratified by imperial decree, the Haleppa Treaty was a landmark in political, economic and intellectual developments on the island. The provisions of the pact improved the position of the Christian population and aimed to create a smoother running administration. In particular, Christians were to form the majority of the General Assembly, with 49 Christian deputies versus 31 Muslims. Furthermore, Greek was established as an official language in the courts. Special services aimed at encouraging economic activity were established, such as the property register and notaries' offices. For the first time ever, newspapers could be published and circulated on the island, and the right of associations and societies to pursue cultural activities was enshrined in law.
1669  |  1671  |  1681  |  1688  |  1691  |  1692  |  1715  |  1735  |  1770  |  1771  |  1780  |  1810  |  1812  |  1821  |  1822  |  1823  |  1824  |  1825  |  1828  |  1830  |  1831  |  1833  |  1840  |  1841  |  1850  |  1856  |  1858  |  1862  |  1866  |  1868  |  1869  |  1875  |  1878  |  1881  |  1889  |  1895  |  1897  |  1898
Part of a copy of the Vakai Girit ["Cretan Daily"] newspaper published under Egyptian rule on Crete, 1831
Eleftherios Venizelos' paternal home in Haleppa (Chania), where he spent most of his life, as it was up to 1927, 1927 (Eleftherios K. Venizelos National Research Foundation)
1669
1669
1671
1681
1688
1691
1692
1715
1735
1735
1770
1771
1780
1810
1810
1812
1821
1822
1822
1823
1824
1825
1828
1830
1831
1833
1840
1841
1850
1856
1858
1858
1862
1862
1866
1866
1868
1869
1875
1878
1878
1881
1889
1895
1895
1897
1897
1898
1898
1898