Markets in the Town
The town centre was the focal point around which financial and commercial activity grew up. Residents and visitors bought their wares in the Platheia Strata ("Broad Street", now Kalokairinou Ave.), at the Vezir Tsarsi (now 25th August Street), in the Meidani (central market square), and at the Kislades (now Dikeosinis Ave.). Professions were grouped together in particular areas within the town, particularly in the case of craftsmen: the dermitzidika (smithies) behind the Church of St. Catherine the terzidika (tailors making local costume) the kouyioumtzidika (goldsmiths) in the Platheia Strata the yiatradika (doctors and chemists) in what is now 1821 St.


1898  |  1899  |  1900  |  1902  |  1905  |  1906  |  1908  |  1909  |  1910  |  1911  |  1912  |  1913
Kallergon Square in front of the Loggia (now the Town Hall), 1900 (Liana Starida Collection, Heraklion)
In early 20th century Heraklion, market streets were paved and Cretan produce was in abundance (R. Behaeddin, No 23, Vikelaia Municipal Library, Heraklion)
View from the town centre towards the harbour. The first floor of the Loggia in ruins before restoration, 1900 (R. Behaeddin, Vikelaia Municipal Library, Heraklion)
View of Heraklion. The Madonnina - converted into the Arastas Mosque - is in the foreground, with the Cathedral of St. Minas in the centre and the minaret by St. Catherine's to the right, 1900 (R. Behaeddin, Vikelaia Municipal Library, Heraklion)
1898
1898
1898
1899
1899
1900
1902
1905
1906
1906
1908
1908
1909
1909
1910
1911
1912
1913