The first of these complexes was named the Arsenali Antichi. It was built in the 13th century, between an angle created by the Byzantine wall and the shore, and consisted of oblong structures covered by vaulted roofs resting on diagonal ribs. The complex was demolished by an earthquake in 1303 and rebuilt from scratch, only to collapse in another quake in 1856.
The three shipyard complexes in the port at Chandax, mid-17th century (Maneas Klontzas, Traeger Collection)
The Arsenali Nuovi and Vecchi (Chryssoula Tzombanaki Collection)