The Venetians were the first to think of channelling spring water into the parched city of Chandax; a definitive solution to the problem of water supply was offered by Provveditor General Francesco Morisini between 1626 and 1628, in the form of the aqueduct which channelled water from three springs on Yiouchtas.

Water flowed into the moat below the fortress of Chandax through a large pipe, passing over aqueducts at Silamos and Fortezza. Inside the walls, the route to the Fontana Morosini continued over three specially constructed arches, which once stood in what is now Eleftherias Square.

During the siege, the Ottoman army cut the conduit, thus depriving the city of much-needed water. The aqueduct was restored to use immediately thereafter, though the water yielded began to decrease, mainly due to lack of proper maintenance.

The aqueduct built at Agia Irini in 1839, under the Egyptian administration
Part of the three arches once standing in Eleftherias Square, above the St. George Gate, 1900 - 1905 (G. Gerola, Heraklion)
The three arches were demolished in the closing years of Ottoman rule, but their name is still used to refer to the area, 1900
The Morosini aqueduct on the old wall, 1900 (G. Gerola)
The Morosini aqueduct near Silamos