Under Ottoman rule the fountain was converted into a sebil (charity fountain). The Turks placed an enclosure around the lobes of the Venetian monument, consisting of sumptuous curved marble panels and Turkish calligraphic inscriptions in gold. This was built in 1847, when the entire sebil was named "Fontana Abdul Metzit" after the Sultan of the time. Holes were carved into the basins and spouts were fitted, so that the Muslim faithful could prepare for prayer at the mosque directly opposite, now restored as the Basilica of St Mark.

The enclosure was removed in 1900 on the order of the Town Council. The marble panels bearing gold inscriptions were abandoned in the defensive ditch outside the New Gate, where they lay until 1922.

The Morosini fountain with the inscribed marble colonnade added under Ottoman rule, 1850 - 1900 (R. Behaeddin, Vikelaia Municipal Library, Heraklion)
The Morosini fountain in the late 19th century (Heraklion)