The sebil was built in 1776 by Haci Ibrahim Aga, who spent almost all of his fortune on maintaining it. It is the only surviving example of a sebil in the city.

This particular one takes the form of a round domed building punctuated by semicircular barred windows, in front of which is a fountain with a stone basin, where the water once gathered.

The fountain came close to being demolished together with the San Salvatore Church, under proposals supported by many townsfolk and the local press. It is now used as a coffee house, continuing a tradition established in Ottoman times.

The Fontana Bembo and the sebil, with the imposing Church of San Salvatore shortly before demolition, in what is now Cornarou Square
The sebil today - an oasis for rest and relaxation, 2004 (photograph: Multimedia Lab)
The sebil in Cornarou Square, 2004 (photograph: Vassilis Kozonakis)