In Venetian times it was recorded as an Orthodox church named "Saint George Dorianos". From the Ottoman period onwards it was established as an Armenian church consecrated to St. John the Baptist. It would also appear that under Venetian rule, from 1352-1362, it was an Armenian church with naves dedicated to the Virgin Mary, Saint Sergios and the Forty Saints.

The church has since been radically altered, and only the south door retains its original form.

The south door to the church, still as originally built, 2007 (photograph: Multimedia Lab)
The old and new bell towers, 2007 (photograph: Multimedia Lab)