The Church of Ss. Peter and Paul was built in the first years of Venetian rule as the katholikon in the Dominican order monastery (Domenicani Predicatori). It is one of the oldest examples of 12th century Dominican architecture, both in Greece and the rest of Europe.

In Venetian times the church was used as a burial site for Candia dignitaries, but in the very first years of Ottoman rule was converted into a mosque dedicated to the memory of Sultan Ibrahim.

The building suffered extensive damage in earthquakes occurring from the 14th to the 18th century. It is situated next to the sea wall, between the Venetian port and the Dermatas Gate, on what is now Sofoklis Venizelou Avenue, and is currently being restored for use as a feast day church.

"Saints Peter and Paul", 1605 - 1608 (Domenicos Theotocopoulos, Nationalmuseum, Stockholm)
View of the monastery church in the early 20th century (G. Gerola, Vikelaia Municipal Library, Heraklion)
View of the monastery showing restoration work in progress, 2004 (photograph: Vassilis Kozonakis)