The St. George Gate, also known as the Maroulas or Lazaretto Gate, led to the eastern provinces, the suburb of Maroulas and the lazaretto or pest-house. Designed by Giulio Savorgnan and dedicated to St. George, the monumental city side facade featured a relief medallion of the warrior saint on horseback, set directly above the finely carved stones that formed the main portal. This and the two smaller side gates were demolished in 1917 to make room for Dimokratias Avenue. The only part of the gate still standing is the exit towards Ikarou Avenue, a decidedly less ornate structure located below the north oreillon of the Vitturi Bastion.
The gate has recently been restored and sensitively redesigned to link up the interior with Eleftherias Square. Beyond its purely utilitarian function as a pedestrian entrance to the city, it now also serves as an exhibition venue.
The St. George Gate shortly before it was dynamited in 1917 (Liana Starida Collection)
The facade of the St. George Gate, 1900 - 1905 (G. Gerola, Vikelaia Municipal Library, Heraklion)
The interior of the St. George Gate, now used as an exhibition venue, 2004 (photograph: Vassilis Kozonakis)