The advent of motorised transport in the early 20th century led the city authorities to breach the city walls, so as to assist traffic flow on existing main routes. The breaches were made at points next to the Venetian gates, which were thus rendered obsolete. The opening to the east of the Pantocrator Gate became known as the Chania Gate, while that east of the Jesus Gate was named the New Gate. The first of these was bridged over in 1915 and the second in the 1970s.
Plans for the breach to the north of the St. Andrew Gate and Bastion did not provide for the preservation of the Venetian gate.
Finally, the opening in the curtain wall between the Martinengo and Bethlehem Bastions known as the Kommeno Bendeni ("Breached Wall") was bridged in the 1960's.