The main Market Gate linking the old town to the burgeoning new one outside the walls was an imposing four-storey edifice that housed shops, flanked by two large towers known as the left and right Xopyrga (Outer Towers).
A prison for public debtors was built on what is now Block 50. The gate collapsed in the 1856 earthquake and was never rebuilt. The east tower was demolished in the 1930's to make way for the Aktarika building or Vikelaia Library, while the west tower and adjacent granary vaults on Block 50 were knocked down in the 1960s. Traces of the gate were discovered in 1989, in the course of construction work on a main sewer.