The Church of St. John the Baptist or San Giovanni, which Werdmüller recorded as having been built in 1271, was a Catholic church owned by the Franciscan order. In accordance with Venetian practice, the church served as the burial place of Dukes of Crete such as Pietro Badoer and Pietro Emiliani.

The church lies at the intersection between 1821 St. (the earlier via dello spedale, subsequently known as the "Apothecaries") and Karterou St., in one of the town's commercial areas. Though the building has suffered the ravages of time and has been subjected to modifications in recent times, it still remains in reasonable condition and now houses shops.