Our Lady of the Angels is referred to in the first inventory of the town's churches (in 1320) as Santa Maria degli Angelis in Beccharia ("in the abattoirs"). Once the Venetians had declared the former Orthodox cathedral of St. Titus as their own, Our Lady of the Angels became the seat of the chief Orthodox priest and the most important church for the Orthodox population in Chandax.
In the Ottoman period it was converted into the Bourgares Coffee House, and from 1927 to 1928 housed a similar establishment owned by Michalis Sarchianos.
The church was situated at the end of the Platia Strata ("Broad Street", now Kalokairinou Avenue) at the point where it joins Idis St. Some remnants of it survive in the modern shops in the area.